PB40-2000
                                         Sanatorium in 1950                                                                            Baudot building in 2000


Extracts translated from the book "Cent ans de Pneumo-Phtisiologie dans les Hôpitaux de Toulouse 1905-2005" by Prs André Delaude and Paul Léophonte.


Jules Barbot wrote in the chronicles of the faculty of medicine of Toulouse in 1905, "The present Hôtel-Dieu [hospital] cannot be extended…. to isolate the consumptives and preserve the other patients from contact with them, what is needed is, on a high point near the town  amidst trees and fields, a completely new building, vast, flooded with light and air, where, without danger to their unfortunate brothers or to themselves, tuberculosis sufferers can fill their lungs with pure, sunlit air …. "


jb
It took a little over three decades for this wish to become reality. The first stone of Purpan hospital was laid on 25th September 1911 but it was not until 1946 that the sanatorium was opened to tuberculosis patients by the health department of the armed forces after having been occupied by the German army (work interrupted from 1914 to 1920, restarted from 1920 to 1938, hospital requisitioned by the French military in 1939 and taken over by the occupying forces in 1940).

Thus it was that, in 1946, the tuberculosis patients transferred from the Hotel-Dieu to the Purpan sanatorium were welcomed by Dr Jean Baudot, appointed head of phtisiology at the hospital on 14th December of the same year. He died suddenly 8 years later, in 1954.
                                             Jean Baudot


The structure of the Purpan sanatorium is spread over three floors in two phtisiology departments and one surgical department. Here is the description that Dr Max Girard gives of it in the book cited above.

"The sanatorium is an immense rectangular brick building comprising an entrance hall in a central rotunda for administrative use and a floor reserved for the operating theatre.  Set further back, are two large wings. On the ground floor: consultations and Pr André Delaude's TB laboratory, and the radiology and endoscopy departments. Three floors of hospital wards: women on the left, men on the right… On the first floor is the thoracic surgery department, initially headed by Pr Paul Dambrin, with the Villemin and Laennec halls. On the second floor is the tuberculosis clinic headed by Pr Louis Morel, and the Sergent and Landouzy halls, and, finally, on the third floor is Pr Jean Baudot's phtisiology department with the Jacques Arnaud and Charles
Morel halls. In each hall there were six communal wards with six beds each, plus a dozen individual rooms at each end, originally for important people or the dying but very soon used for non-tubercular broncho-pulmonary cases. The whole was completed by two rooms on each floor for dressings and a few rare offices and toilets, with magnificent tiled floors and walls. Crowning everything, along the whole length of the buildings, two solariums with no windows, wide open to the Pyrenees, the sun and the wind. In fact, they were never really used for medical purposes, except unofficially by a few patients of a romantic, or, more rarely, suicidal turn of mind. They were later transformed into offices."

Being sent to the sanatorium was the basis of the whole treatment, with its three parts: bed-rest, a suitable diet and lots of fresh air. The Purpan sanatorium had 90 beds in all, more than half of which were still occupied by TB patients in1968-1969.
The combat against the disease started in 1944 with the discovery of streptomycin and has continued since then with the administration of antibiotics. The sanatorium thus quietly disappeared as tuberculosis ceased to be a scourge of society.  

After its "sanatorium" period, the Baudot building was occupied by other departments, related to pneumology or not.

A respiratory functional exploration department was set up in 1975 in place of the TB laboratory.

For about 25 years, the principal departments housed by the Baudot building were, on the ground floor of the building, radiology (Pr Jean-Jacques Railhac) and respiratory functional exploration with, later, sports medicine (Pr Garrigues then Pr Daniel Rivière); urology on the 1st floor (Pr Sarramon) extended to kidney transplants and andrology in 1999; cardiology on the 2nd and 3rd floors (Pr Pierre Bernadet then Pr Jacques Puel).